Monday, August 27, 2012

On doing a Kickstarter campaign and being totally blown away the support

Yesterday, I launched a Kickstarter campaign. If you haven't heard of or participated in a Kickstarter project before, let me explain-- it's basically a way for creatives to "fundraise" for a really cool and exciting new project if they don't have the funds to spend up front. In return, everyone who contributes to the campaign gets to choose from a variety of really cool and exciting rewards, varying (in my case) from $1-$500. 

One of the original pieces for sale through the Kickstarter
campaign- "Wide open spaces - Centennial, WY"; 20" x 16"
Originally $425 + shipping, now $200 through Kickstarter.

For three weeks, leaving on October 9th, I'm going to be traveling across the pond on a European painting project, basically sketching, photographing and compiling information for a new series I'm working on. I'm going to be focusing on creating mixed media and acrylic artworks of different cemeteries throughout France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, and Austria. I'm going to be bus-ing, and train-ing, and backpack-ing through Europe with my sketchpad. The subject matter is a little darker than what I normally focus on, but the colors-- they're going to be bright and lively, as they usually are in my work. I want to focus on finding beauty in every place, and every thing-- even places that are usually considered a bit depressing and morbid. Why? Because I'm trying to do that with my life now, and personally as an artist, I paint the way I feel. Oscar Wilde says that "life imitates art far more than art imitates life", but I find that the two are highly dependent on each other. My art reflects my experiences, and since I started dedicating myself to my art full-time just a month ago, I feel like the world is full of beauty, and every second and every thing should be treasured. I'm so excited for this trip, and I can't wait to get started on this series.

"Hike beneath Byer's Peak - man & dog", original acrylic
painting on stretched canvas. 40" x 30", originally $1175 + shipping,
now $500 through Kickstarter.

I already purchased the plain ticket for my flights with miles from my former life as a flight attendant, so basically what I'm trying to raise money for is bus fare, train fare, lodging costs and of course, ART SUPPLIES. What you get in return varies from hand-drawn postcards, small sketches from my travels, signed giclee prints, and very-reduced prices on a few select original pieces and commissioned works. I'm on my 2nd day, and I've already raised nearly 1/3 of the $1500 that I set my project at. I've got to tell you, the support has been amazing.

"Untitled tree" originaly acrylic painting; 20" x 16"
Available through Kickstarter only for $200, originally $325 + shipping.

Thank you SO much to everyone who has already participated in the project and/or shared the word. You are amazing... and I MEAN that. You are amazing!



No comments:

Post a Comment